The Cape Girardeau RegionalAirport began in 1942. It was then called Harris Field and was used as a training grounds for Air ForcePilots. In 1945 the school closed and the airport reverted back to War Assets Administration as surplus property. In 1946-1947 the City of CapeGirardeau acquired the airport and it became known as the Cape GirardeauMunicipal Airport. The ConsolidatedSchool of Aviation moved their operations to Cape Girardeau Municipal Airport at this time. The school had been operating at the site of R.B. Potashnick Construction Company.
There was only one runway at the time the City of Cape purchased the airport. It was runway 02-20, which was half asphalt and half sod. The runway was 4,000 feet long, and was aligned northeast by southwest. In 1948, the first expansion of the airport began with asphalt being placed on the south half of Runway 02-20, construction of sod runway 12-30, runway lights and center taxiway lights. In 1950 Ozark Airlines became the first scheduled airline to serve CapeGirardeau and was only certified for Visual Flight Rules operations. The Consolidated School of Aviation sold their assets and Cape Central Airways was formed. A terminal building was built where the present fuel farm is located. The terminal consisted of offices for Cape Central Airways and Ozark Airlines, classrooms, a restaurant, and an apartment for the restaurant manager.
The terminal building caught fire and the building was destroyed. Cape Central Airways andOzark Airlines moved their operations to an existing hangar. In summer of 1956, the north end of Runway02-20 was destroyed due to flooding and ground saturation.
The following improvements were made:
A Flight Service Station was located at the airport and improved taxiway and runway lighting was installed.
Four wooden hangars were built. Cape Central Airways used one of the four for a maintenance facility, a naval reserve unit occupied one hangar, and the other two were used for storage.
Cape Central Airways maintenance facility was destroyed by lightning and the facility now known as Cape Aviation was constructed.
Cape Central Airways was acquired by Air Evac Aviation. Air Evac provided fueling, major and minor general aviation aircraft maintenance, chartering, aircraft rental, flight instruction, and a cargo operation.
One of the storage buildings was struck by lightning and burned down.
VOR was constructed
Runway 10-28 was constructed with high intensity lights and taxiways. Terminal building was expanded to included a restaurant.
Control Tower was constructed.
Air Evac Aviation tuned the fixed based operator services to the City of Cape Girardeau, which then became Cape Aviation.
In 1986, there was three airlines flying out of the Cape Girardeau Municipal Airport, Northwest Airlines, Brit Airlines, and Air Midwest Airlines.
In 1991, Air Midwest was bought out by Trans State Airlines and became Trans World Express (TWE). TWE flew 19 passenger British Airspace Jetstream Super 31 with daily service to St. Louis.
The present-day Cape GirardeauRegional Airport is an Essential Air Service Airport and has been serviced by multiple carriers over the past 20 years.
2009-2017 – Cape Air served the Cape Girardeau Regional Airport with daily flights to St. Louis flying 9passenger Cessna 402 aircraft.
2017-2022 – SkyWest Airlines operating at United Airlines served the Cape Girardeau Regional Airport with daily flights to Chicago O’Hare flying 50 passenger CRJ200.
October 2022 to present – Contour Airlines began servicing the Cape Girardeau Regional Airport with daily flights to Nashville International Airport flying ERJ-135 and 145aircraft.